The Handel Aria Competition is an annual event held in Madison, Wisconsin to promote the performance of Handel’s extensive vocal repertoire. Founders Dean and Orange Schroeder are enthusiasts of George Frideric Handel’s music and lifelong supporters of the arts.
The 2017 Competition
We are delighted to announce the finalists in this year’s Handel Aria Competition, chosen from a field of over 100 singers:
• Johanna Bronk, mezzo-soprano from Boston, MA
• Brian Giebler, tenor from New York, NY
• Nicole Heinen, soprano from New Orleans, LA
• Clara Osowski, mezzo-soprano from Brooklyn Center, MN
• Andrew Rader, countertenor from Bloomington, IN
• Gene Stenger, tenor from New Haven CT
• Nian Wang, mezzo-soprano from Nanjing, China
The 5th Annual Handel Aria Competition will be held on Friday, June 9, 2017 at 7:30 pm in Mills Concert Hall of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Mead Witter School of Music, 455 N Park Street. Finalists will be accompanied by the Madison Bach Musicians under the direction of Trevor Stephenson. April 1 was the deadline for applying, and all auditions had to be submitted via YAP Tracker.
General admission tickets to this year’s Handel Aria Competition will be available beginning in mid-May.
The Winners of the 2016 Handel Aria Competition
The 4th annual Handel Aria Competition was an amazing evening of wonderful music by all seven of the finalists selected from the 100 singers who auditioned. The winners of this year’s final round are:
- Eric Jurenas, countertenor, first prize
- Christina Kay, soprano (on right), second prize
- Nola Richardson, soprano, third prize & audience favorite
The judges for the final round of the 4th annual Handel Aria Competition were:
- Ellen Hargis, soprano in The Newberry Consort
- Christa Patton, Director of the Queens College Baroque Opera Workshop
- Steven Caldecott Wilson, tenor in New York Polyphony
Top image credit: New English Harpsichord after Thomas Barton, made in Somerset, England by Peter Barnes with a beautiful soundboard painting in the style of Coston by Jennifer Douglas.
Learn More and Get Involved
Contact us via email: email@example.com
Support Us with a donation which helps us support emerging singers throughout the competition process by underwriting travel grants and awards, as well as providing remuneration for competition judges and instrumental accompanists.
Check out our channel to see past performances by finalists and competition winners including 2016 First Prize Winner Eric Juerenas.